Re: Topband: tx5k ops

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: tx5k ops
From: "David Raymond" <daraymond@iowatelecom.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 09:47:45 -0600
I have listened to the TX5K operation for hours and hours. Overall, they have had the best operators and operating practices I've seen in a very long time. . .maybe ever. They stick with the call until they get it. They do a good job of staying in sync with the station they are working and completing the qso with confidence. When you're done you know you've worked them. They do a remarkable job controlling unruly European mobs that call incessantly and pay no attention whatsoever to instructions from the operator. They've been friendly and courteous. They know what bands to be on at which time of day. My only complaint is that some of the SSB audio has been "pinched" to the point that it can be just a bit difficult to copy under certain circumstances. But a minor point for sure.

I'm sure with over 100,000 QSOs in the log there are exceptions to the above. But overall, the operators have been nothing short of outstanding IMHO.

73. . . Dave
W0FLS

Some of the TX5K operators are indeed the best, especially on 160 being able to dig out so many Europeans in the past nights and even 4Z1 last night. Yet there are a few operators that defy logic like on 75 meters this morning who showed up on 3.785 at 11:00Z where I was waiting for him with excited anticipation of finally being able to add Clipperton on 75 SSB. TX5K was 20 over and I immediately got a reply "KV4FZ are you a one?" Then after a short lecture the operator proceeded by numbers starting with "1". Unfortunately by the time the operator got to number group "four" he had dropped into the noise and was impossible to work him. Do I have a legitimate beef? I sure think so.

73,

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ

Topband Reflector