Re: Topband: ALUMINUM

To: TopBand List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: ALUMINUM
From: Don Field <don.field@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 15:47:54 +0000
For what it's worth, for T32C, because our container never arrived, we
bought lots of alumin(i)um wire in KH6 for radials. In the saltwater
atmosphere close to the beach at T32, they lasted less than a week before
disintegrating! The second party to arrive brought copper wire, which was
fine.

Don G3XTT

On 7 March 2013 17:24, Bob Kirkeby <wb0dsf@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have used solid #10 aluminum as radials buried 6" in alkaline soil. It
> became badly corroded in 2 years; nearly disintegrated in spots. Not saying
> it wouldn't be fine in other soils.
> 73
> Bob
> WBØDSF
>
> On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 6:31 PM, Mike Greenway <K4PI@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> > From some feedback on the aluminum coated steel, I am thinking about
> > trying some regular aluminum, 14 gauge.  Anyone got a downside to this?
> >  Price, weight, conductivity are good and little if any stretch.  I will
> > use aluminum screws and nuts on the end terminations with No Ox.  73 Mike
> > K4PI
> > Topband Reflector

> Topband Reflector

Topband Reflector