Re: Topband: ALUMINUM

To: "TOPBAND" <TOPBAND@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: ALUMINUM
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2013 08:01:09 -0500
The life of aluminum not only depends on the environment and the particular aluminum alloy, but also the electrical potential it is connected to. It can be especially bad in the presense of chloides, like near the sea, or with high galvanic potentials.

It disappears pretty fast at my house in contact with soil, either because my other ground systems form a battery through the soil, the iron in the soil, and/or the pH.

I use #9 aluminum fence wire for some antennas, and I'm planning on using it in a open wire feedline. I have had some breakage problems in aluminum wire antennas because of wind vibration or some other fatigue. Due to weight restrictions, I almost have to use aluminum wire in some places.

73 Tom
Topband Reflector