Re: Topband: FO8AJ - TX5K

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: FO8AJ - TX5K
From: Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2013 09:04:00 -0500
On Fri, 2013-03-08 at 23:15 -0700, James Rodenkirch wrote:
> Mike: re TX5K   I "saw" much of that behavior on 40 as well.  In fact,
>  40 was the only HF band that I operate on that I did NOT work them on
>  and felt like the number(s) of stations and the utterly rude behavior
>  contributed to that "non band happening"!  I put out a decent signal
>  on 40 so was surprised.
>
> Totally disgusting is the only way to describe the behavior of some of
>  those 40 meter operators!
>
> Oh well, it's a hobby so you get what you get, I guess - or sumpin'
>  like that.
>
> The Top Band crowd was, as usual, totally on the other of the spectrum
>  - congenial, allowing the operator to run the show...no keying down on
>  top of them....sigh..wish all bands were like that.
>
> 72, Jim Rodenkirch K9JWV

Hi Jim,

I was astonished when I heard them on 160 meters. My antenna is NOT the
very best. I have occasionally heard some DX stations on 160. I have
suspected that one reason I don't hear a lot of DX on the lower bands is
the QRM from their piles. To be honest I did hear some stations
transmitting on the DX's frequency. A quick "up 3" and they actually
moved! That allowed even *me* to hear the DX.

The ice and snow is beginning to yield and soon enough I'll be out there
putting up some metal tubing (grin). Along with some better tools to
help sort them at the receiver and I should be "in".

73,

Bill  KU8H

Topband Reflector