Re: Topband: Fw: Mike, VK6Hd.

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Fw: Mike, VK6Hd.
From: K8MFO@aol.com
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 15:32:31 -0400 (EDT)
Count me in as another admirer of Mike,  who gave Zone 29 to so many of us,
not only on Top Band, but other bands as  well.

Mike was also a top notch 160 Meter DXer, living a long way from  major
population centers, but still able to run up a high country  total.
Contacts on 160 into places like PY may be  routine for those of us in the USA
and
Europe, but it was a major accomplishment  from VK6, and may have required
years of effort.

In July 1986 I was part of a group to  activate Market Reef as OH0MD/OJ0.
   In the USA we  think of July as a high QRN month, but on Market Reef,
you really have no  darkness, and perhaps only 1 hour per day of TWILIGHT.
 Be that as it may, it was a real pleasure to give Mike a new one on that
operation, and a collective cheer went up in the lighthouse when Mike was
logged  on 160.    Everyone knew who Mike was, and had a favorite story  about
first Topband VK, or first Zone 29 on a particular  band.  To give
something back to Mike was very special.  It was a  tribute to his craftiness
and
dedication to break through a wall of European  callers.

I can remember working Mike a very long  time ago as G3HDA and for decades
as VK6HD.     Sadly, you  just don't replace guys like Mike.

RIP, Old Friend.

73

Don K8MFO

In a message dated 4/12/2013 8:25:00 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,