Re: Topband: Problem with compression F connectors on Quad RG-6

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Problem with compression F connectors on Quad RG-6
From: John Harden <jhdmd@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 05 May 2013 07:22:19 -0400
On 5/4/2013 2:07 PM, Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:
I'm having a repeated weird problem with compression F connectors on quad-shield RG6. When I connect a short length (say 4 feet) of cable to my MFJ-259B, I would expect R>650. Instead, when I wiggle the coax, occasionally I see the display change to R=0 and X= several hundred ohms at 1.8 MHz. This makes no sense to me - the R implies ashort, but where's all the X coming from? The problem seems to vary with the same connector and different PL-259 to F adapters, which makes me wonder what might be happening inside the adapters, but I can't imagine anything producing this result. I have also been unsuccessful in detecting a short using a simple DC multimeter.

I;'m wondering if I should go through my RX antennas and replace all the F connectors and particularly the F to 259 adapters with something else, but what? BNCs?

Anyone have any wisdom?

I never have problems with F connectors. I buy quality Belden RG-6/U Quad Shield from ACK Radio in Atlanta as well as the right "F" connectors, and use a quality compression tool. There are several "F" connector sizes. The right one goes on the cable rather easily if it is stripped properly.......
All good topband ops know fine whiskey is a daylight beverage.
Topband Reflector