Re: Topband: Problem with compression F connectors on Quad RG-6

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Problem with compression F connectors on Quad RG-6
From: donovanf@starpower.net
Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 12:23:40 -0400 (EDT)
Improper connector installation plagues many ham stations, not only with RG-6
CATV
connectors but with all types of coaxial connectors. An improperly installed
connector
is an invitation to RFI ingress and equipment damage.

At transmit power levels, an improperly installed connector can cause equipment
damage.
If you're not confident in your connector installation skills, its worth a few
dollars to have
them professionally installed.

Quad cable connector installation requires skills and patience. Compounding the
problem,
hams often use connectors that are not intended for use with quad RG-6.

Quad cable connector installation involves five specific steps, each performed
carefully
and correctly:

1. Use an RG-6 stripping tool to remove the jacket. Inspect the braid wires to
be sure
none of the wires are damaged. Never use a knife to remove the jacket,
inevitably it
will damage the fragile braid wires no matter how careful you are.

2. Carefully fold back only the outer braid and spread the braid wires evenly
around
the circumference of the cable jacket. Verify that no wires are broken. All of
the
braid wires should lay flat over the jacket, should not be more than 1/4 inch
long,
and should not be bunched up.

3. Remove the foil tape between the two braid shields. Do not use a knife to
assist
in foil tape removal. This step is time consuming and often ignored. The
connector
will be very difficult to install if the foil tape is not removed. If somehow
you manage
to force the connector onto the cable with the foil tape in place, the
connector will
be intermittent and unreliable.

4. Carefully fold back the inner braid and spread the braid wires evenly around
the circumference of the cable jacket. Verify that no wires are broken. All of
the
braid wires should lay flat over the jacket, should not be more than 1/4 inch
long,
and should not be bunched up.

5. Install the proper connector for quad shield cable. Be sure the connector is
fully
seated. If you need to use great force to mate the connector something is
wrong,
either you used the wrong connector or the cable was improperly prepared . If
somehow you manage to force the connector onto the cable, the connector will
be intermittent and unreliable.

Improper connector installation is so pervasive in the cable TV industry that
CommScope prepared an illustrated paper on improper connector installation.

http://docs.commscope.com/Public/ImproperQuadPrep.pdf

73
Frank
W3LPL