Re: Topband: 160 and 80 meter QRN prediction

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 and 80 meter QRN prediction
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 07:35:59 -0400
Shouldn't you also look at lightning activity on the path between you and your area of interest? I've found quite often that the day after a big eastward-moving storm, there is a lot of noise on my path to Europe.

That's right, Pete. With good directional receiving antennas, other than really local storms, noise along the desired path is probably the single most important thing.

For example, it makes little difference here what the lightning map looks like to the west or south when listening for Europe (NE), but a single storm 2000 miles NE can really mess things up.

All good topband ops know how to put up a beverage at night.
Topband Reflector