Re: Topband: Inv-L joy

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Inv-L joy
From: "Shoppa, Tim" <tshoppa@wmata.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 13:46:55 +0000
I use RF Connection "Polystealth 18" in the trees and bushes at the edge of my
lot. Very lightweight. 117 pounds breaking strength, way stronger than your Cat
5. It is stranded copper-clad steel with a fairly thick and robust and
low-friction/slippery polyethylene jacket and is very flexible and really deals
well with going around tree trunks and over limbs and deer running into the
wires etc.

I think the same stuff is sold by a different name by other ham vendors, e.g. I
think Wireman 532 is the same stuff.

The copper plating on the this stuff is quite easy to solder to. The 18 gauge
stuff is easily tied in knots etc. if you don't want to solder loops at the
end, I have use this in experiments to make it easy to change antenna length.

There is also a 13-gauge variant if you really think you want heavy duty stuff.
I have a 130-foot doublet made out of the 13 gauge stuff that has been up for
many years now; it is kept tensioned with a pulley and a gallon of sand. I way
overengineered that, it would have done just fine with the 18 gauge stuff. You
could probably lift a car with the 13 gauge stuff.

Tim N3QE