Topband: Inv-L joy

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Inv-L joy
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 04:55:15 -0400
My Inv-l came down again. Went out to see what happened and another
storm weakened tree came down & it's upper branches brought my
antenna down with it. I really need to use a better wire than 8
strand computer cable for the antenna. This CAT-8 wire comes down at
least 2-3 times a year.

Since I use a spud gun with fishing reel attached to get the antenna
up through the trees I am limited in what wire I can use to get up
there. I don't have pulleys available with what I have to do & the
wire is subject to the constant friction of moving limbs & the
insulation wears away soon enough. I hesitate to buy expensive wire
as once the insulation wears away there will be arcing to a branch.
Years ago I used to use old telephone wire, the heavily insulated
solid conductor zip cord like drop wire but that's not available to
me any more.

Any suggestion as to a good rugged wire?

73,

Gary
KA1J
Topband Reflector