Re: Topband: Desktop Power Supply Brand/Noise Question

To: "'ZR'" <zr@jeremy.mv.com>, "'Tom W8JI'" <w8ji@w8ji.com>, <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Desktop Power Supply Brand/Noise Question
From: "Tom W2MN" <w2mn@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 10:51:00 -0500
Years ago I experienced severe  (over S9 ) noise on 160, 80, some on 40m
after replacing a defective PC power supply. The supply was a cheap ebay
special that worked well except for the rf noise. After analysis, I found
that 2 other PCs in other rooms were contributing a low level amount of
noise also. This is what I found and the solution:

First, none of the supplies were FCC Class B certified (low level EMI for
residential use). Class A allows a higher level of noise (for commercial
use). No label (like mine) probably means "no filtering".

So, I made reuseable filter boxes for each of the computers in the house and
removed ALL detectable noise from the computers.

I simply purchased 10 Corcom filters on ebay ( I think they were $2 each +
shipping). I cut a power supply cord (universal plug type) about 6 inches
from the computer and wired the filter into a plastic electrical box with
the other end of the cord out the other end of the box. I used standard
electrical cable clamps to secure the cable to the box and added the
cheapest electrical plastic cover. The whole thing cost me about $6 each and
I built 5 of them in a couple of hours.  The boxes live behind the computer
so the blue color appearance doesn't matter.  When I purchased newer
computers, I just moved the filtered cord to the new computers.

 I used one of these on a switching power supply (which had the universal
type plug) and it fixed it's noise problem also.

I was tempted to build one of these into a box with outlet on it but I
figured that the long plug in cord from the noise generator (power supply)
would allow too much noise radiation, so I didn't try it.

Tom