Re: Topband: Don W6AM

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Don W6AM
From: Hawkins <ng0g@mchsi.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 16:04:15 -0500
TopBand,

Sorry if this is a little off topic.

This description reminds me of Highway Louie whom I believe is SK. I helped a good friend pour, and finish a 90 foot cement sidewalk all morning, and at 66 I am so tired I cannot even think of his callsign. Old timers in the Bay Area will know it. I have kicked myself a bunch for not taking photos of his mobile setup. If anyone has one, especially what I believe to be the last incarnation (I seem to remember it was a Mustang with a trailer for the generator that powered the amp in the trunk.) Hydraulics to auto tune the enormous antenna, which was topped with a toilet bowl float. 1kw from the amp in the back seat, 5KW from the amp in the trunk.

I would really, really love to have a photo if anyone has one. I have a photo of him, but not his mobile rig.

I worked at HRO in Oakland for a while back when it was on Telegraph Ave. Highway Louie was a frequent customer and had dozens of very interesting stories.

Thanks,
Steve NG0G