Re: Topband: Don W6AM

To: TopBand List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Don W6AM
From: donovanf@starpower.net
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 11:56:19 -0400 (EDT)
Gus was DX editor for 73 Magazine starting in January 1973. All issues of
73 magazine are available free of charge on archive.org

Just use Google to search for: "W4BPD site:archive.org"

Here's what Gus had to say in his first column as DX editor in his unique very
casual style.
DXing was much different when he wrote his first column 40 years ago, but much
the same too. I thought some of you might like to read his first column.

73
Frank
W3LPL

Hello, "You-AH", looks like it will be me running
this column and the WTW Award from this date on.

Let me introduce myself:

Name: Gus M. Browning
Call: W4BPD
Have signed well over 165 other calls from DX locations overseas

Been A DXer since Nov, 25, 1927
QSOs made: Total over 600,000
DXCC Nr. 4
WAZ Nr. 40
and lots of the other awards not all can be remembered.

Occupations: Editor & Publisher of The DXers Magazine,
printer and Electronic Repair Shop,

Thats enough tooting my own horn.
Plenty of time at later dates.

I need all the good, reliable DX tidbits, news, DXpedition
plans, DX QSL info, and even any good photographs
(in black and white - when possible)
you may happen to have or get later on -
They will to returned to you if you.
I mention "return to ??? on the back side of them.

You can send your info to me either at the address of this
magazine or (to save time) send it to me direct at this address:

Gus M. Browning, W4BPD
Drawer "DX"
Cordova, S.C. 29039
Or if you run across something that's red hot" and you think is
important enough you could call me (please NOT COLLECT) at:
(803) 534-6485
You can call me anytime of day or night (as late as 2 o'clock A.M,
local time - I work that late every night here - 7 nights per week).

In submitting info to me please keep in mind that I will have to
have the news items in my hand no later than 3 days before the
first of each month. This is being prepared on October 28th. as an
example of how long before ot appears in your magazine.

In case you haven't heard yet, the year 1973 is being called "our
year" by 73 magazine so Wayne (the "big boss") and I have come
up with an award to celebrate, an award not too hard to make. All
you have gotta do is to work 73 different countries in the first 73
days of 1973, We will call this something like "The 73 - 73 - 73
DX Award." So get the old rig ready to start on Jan 1st, 1973.
After you have worked your 73 different countries in the first 73
days of 1973 (thats the 14th of March) get three other hams to
certify your log send us the fist of stations you worked, giving the
dates and times, etc. of the QSOs. The Award may be either a nice
certificate or lapel pin, maybe it will have a small "cost" tacked on
to cover our cost or maybe even free (if Wayne can afford to lose
on the whole thing). Will let you know well in advance of the
March 14th.

Future DXpeditioneers, prepare for all events* because you will have
certain troubles" (other than the usual licensing, customs, etc.) You
will have QSL problems when you are back home, you will have a lot
of such items as, time wrong, band wrong, even the mode and band
will be wrong. Then you may have a "pirate" working the fellows at
the same dates you are on. some- times a few days before or after
you are on. Be sure you have a good GMT watch or clock and set
it right and be sure of your GMT date (this also goes for those back
here working the DX stations, too). All the above came to mind when I
received a letter from Jim, K9TZH after his operation at Market Reef,
where he operated as OJ0SUF.
A portion of his letter quoted:

"OJ0SUF QSL INFO: Fellows I am very sorry that there has been
such confusion regarding the Market Reef Expedition QSL s. When I
left Finland, all was in order but since that time, problems have
developed concerning financing the 6000 cards. Have just received a
letter from OH2BHU, who stated that the cards have finally been ordered
and will be coming out very soon. Anyone having problems getting
a card for their QSO please write me and I will do everything in my
power to get the contact confirmed. This includes fellows who have
received their own cards back marked "Not in Log".

I would like to emphasize this is not a request for $ Jim says in
the letter, "if I had only knew then, what I know now", after
mentioning other problems.
NOW FOR THE WTW AWARD
At the present moment all the info and present status of the WTW is in
the hands of Dave, K2AGZ and I am QRX for him to send all the
info, etc. down here so that I can arrange it all in the files and then
get going on the project again. I hope to soon receive this all from
Dave and get going again. I suggest that all confirmations be sent to
me direct instead of to 73 Mag, It will be more quickly handled
and be less chance of your cards being lost, etc. I do very strongly
suggest that you send your cards by "certified ' (cheaper), or via
Registered mail and include enough (either stamps or money) to return
your cards by "certified mail' plus of course the usual parcel post
costs and naturally the WTW fee of One Dollar (to partly cover our
costs). Be sure to list every card in the order they appear in the DXCC
country list, giving date, etc. of the contact. Remember we will keep
this list you send us. You had better make yourself up a duplicate
list to keep for reference purposes at later dates when you add new
countries to your standing in the WTW. Remember there are three
awards, the WTW* 100, WTW-200 and WTW- 300 and these can be
earned on CW and then the same for all PHONE. Will be telling you
more about this from time to time.
We are thinking about maybe giving nice Lapel Pins for the 200
and 300 plateaus of our WTW. I wonder when the ARRL will start
something like this, too 7 And while I am "wondering", why not
also wonder about the overall viewpoint of DXing in general?

For instance, why not more countries? YES that's what I said "more
countries"! I have not met anyone yet who really has complained that
there are "too many now". This word "countries" are used very
loosely when refering to our DX awards. Except WTW, which stands
for Worked The World, certainly a more descriptive group of words
when talking about our kind of DX. I think it's time for Big Brother,
the ARRL to do something about their DX Award set-up, give some
pins for the 200 and 300 brackets, give us some new countries, cut
that 250 miles separation between islands for a starter * OR - better
yet -START SOMETHING BRAND NEW. (all of which I doubt they
will do.) With computers being used these days even by some of my
small grocery stores, I am sure that this could be done at a very
reasonable price. They of course would be able to use the computer in
many other ways when it is put in.
This is nearly 1973 (73 Magazine's) and times are changing rapidly
and I think ARRL will have to do the same to "keep up to date" with
the rapidly changing world I know that I will receive many
letters telling me to not "rock the boat", you can't fight the
establishment, etc. My answer to these is all the same Ole Buddy,
you have your ideas and I have mine and if you want to "air" your ideas
we have the "LETTERS" page in 73 for you to use (I also have "Letters
to the editor" page or pages (if necessary in my little DXers Mag.)
They are yours to use to let the other fellow have your viewpoints,
All I want to do is to have MORE DX for the boys to chase, giving
them something to do these long winter nights coming on us now.

I wonder if there are still some of you out there that have not yet
tried making some of these new "gadgets" using these new IC's?
It took me ONE HOUR to build a very FB 10 meter pre-amp using a
Motorola type 1590G and it gave a 50 db gain with less noise than I
could hear from my Collins 75S-3. Have built up a number of very FB
other little "goodies" (quite useful, "gadgets".) All which will get
you started with Solid State, you may as well face it fellows, solid
state is with us and the days of hot, noisy, inefficient, etc. is about over.
You are never too old to learn !! 73 Magazine will give you plenty
of these little "goodies" to build.
Try a few of them and the Old Bug will bite you again and you
will again become a ham like you used to be! - Remember ??
That's it for this month,

73 es DX,
de W4BPD