Re: Topband: best core material?

To: James Rodenkirch <rodenkirch_llc@msn.com>, BY THE LAKE <magoo@isp.ca>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: best core material?
From: "Shoppa, Tim" <tshoppa@wmata.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 18:12:48 +0000
If receive only, you will do just fine using the 2873000202 binocular 73
material core that Tom mentions.

I think this corresponds to Amidon part number BN-202-73. Newark stocks the
part under the original Fair-Rite 2873000202 number.

Tom shows 2:5 ratio but I've done other ratios just fine.

I am very very impressed with the 2873000202 core, in fact I also use it in
some DC-DC converters and the core just barely gets warm at the 10 watt level.
Whenever I've accidentally transmitted into my receive antenna, the transformer
survives just fine, it's the terminating resistor that goes up in smoke. I try
not to make a habit of it :-)

Tim N3QE