Re: Topband: Effect of trees- tree appreciation

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Effect of trees- tree appreciation
From: Rick Stealey <rstealey@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 16:20:24 +0000

> For them to make a significant impact on my ability to transmit, they would
> have to absorb at least 3db (750 watts).

So your loss is less than 3 db, and so it's of no concern to you?
I know 160 meter ops who would, and do, pay lots of money for an extra 3 db.
Say your tree loss was really 5 db (or even 10) you would know, based on what?
The amount of DX worked last winter?

>I suspect they would have gone up in flaming glory

Just thinking here - I can hold my hand on a 75 watt lightbulb for a few
seconds.  10 of those lightbulbs-worth of heat isn't very much heat, dissipated
over the surface area of the bark of a tree, 60 feet tall, in winter, with low
temps, and maybe even some wind can't really have much in the way of visible
impact, could it?  Gone up in flaming glory?

Rick K2XT

Topband Reflector