Re: Topband: Zo of an individual CAT5 twisted pair

To: "'James Rodenkirch'" <rodenkirch_llc@msn.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Zo of an individual CAT5 twisted pair
From: "Jim Garland" <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 12:53:52 -0600
When I did my test, I didn't use a balun - I just attached a coax connector
to the CAT5e to get a rough check on the VSWR.  The noise pickup was
probably a result of not having a balanced feed. I made this test to see if
CAT5 would be a suitable feedline for portable QRP operation, and it
actually worked quite well. Running 100W into a dummy load, with about 50 ft
of CAT5, showed no perceptable VSWR.

73,

Jim W8ZR

  _____