Re: Topband: Zo of an individual CAT5 twisted pair

To: "'Shoppa, Tim'" <tshoppa@wmata.com>, <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Zo of an individual CAT5 twisted pair
From: "JC N4IS" <n4is@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 09:43:56 -0400
Yes, that's a complicated matter. The name and the function can get very
confused if you don't know what you are doing. Any transformer can change
the voltage from the primary to the secondary and the impedance follow the
square of turn ratio. How you connect the transformer is an application. How
you build the transformer is an art!

For broadband RX antennas you want the transformer to be broadband. For
isolation from the primary to the secondary you want low capacitance. An
autotransformer could be used as BALUN, balances input and unbalanced
output, it could be broadband, but has no isolation.

One example, you take a FT140-77 core and build a primary 12 turns in one
side and 4 turns on the other side, you have a voltage  transformer but it
will perform very bad as a  BALUN, or a BALBAL or UNUN depending your
application. However if you build 3 times 4 turns for the primary and add 4
turns on secondary in between the primary, you can get the same voltage
transformer but It will work as a broadband impedance transformer from 1 MHz
to 10 MHz with no adding reactance if the load is a pure resistor or low
inductance resistor.

I did try to explain it with text, I used pictures, I posted diagrams but
people come back to me saying the antenna is not working. When I check what
the guy did, he was using the wrong "transformer".

Jim I'm with you again, very few hams really understand it.

Regards
JCarlos
N4IS