Re: Topband: 160 meter activity

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 meter activity
From: Bob Kupps <n6bk@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2013 16:44:46 -0700 (PDT)
Well I applaud your making the effort at giving an "honest" report. It seems to
me that 599 is reported far too casually these days and I certainly attempt to
give "honest" reports even in a (non contest) pile up. Although R reports are
fairly easy - I give 3 if I'm struggling, 4 if I have to pay attention and 5 if
it's easy. But S reports, especially on the low bands where we are often using
preamps, attenuators or both make an objective report a bit tougher.

The other night I was chatting with my pal W6YA on 20. My 100 watts to a 5/5
stack always gets a better report on his K3 than his 1500W to a 4 el gets on my
K3 until he finally said that he always uses his preamp on the high bands
because the K3 S meter is factory calibrated with the preamp on, and he like I
strive to give meaningful reports.

Anyway, I would be interested in how other ops (who care) try to give
meaningful reports - objective vs subjective. Also my compliments to N4ZR and
the RBN guys who are providing a great service to the ham DX community in this
regard.

73 Bob HS0ZIA