Re: Topband: 160 meter activity

To: "'n6bk@yahoo.com'" <n6bk@yahoo.com>, "'topband@contesting.com'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 meter activity
From: "Shoppa, Tim" <tshoppa@wmata.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 00:04:29 +0000
There is an "official S meter scale" based on microvolts at the antenna jack,
50uV is S9. Objective S meter reading? When band noise is S9+20 on my transmit
antenna, a "true" S9 signal wouldn't even be copied.

Of course on my RX antenna band noise is S1 and a strong EU signal is S5 to S6
for real easy copy.

Probably the reversebeacon style Signal to Noise would be most fair but even
that will mostly depend on relative local noise.

Tim N3QE