Re: Topband: Dual band shunt-feeding tower on 160/80

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Dual band shunt-feeding tower on 160/80
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 05:47:28 -0400
Jeff, You will have problems with attempting to shunt feed a 100 foot grounded tower on 80 since it approaches a grounded half wave radiator and just to long on 80. The solution for this is to make a decoupling sleeve on the tower by elevating the 80 meter feed up the tower and bring down several skirt wires at the 40 foot level that are a least a 1/4 wave long on 80. You can bring them to the ground and run the extra lengths out parallel and insulated from the ground. This will allow you to shunt feet above the skirt attachment point. The only problem with this is that it will impact the 160 mete feed and you may have to have a HV switch to disconnect the unused band. So report that just connecting the 80 meter coax braid up the tower and fanning out some radials at that point can work. But again why screw up a perfectly good 160 meter vertical when you can hang 80 meter slopers from it with less impact and not so much hassle?

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ