Re: Topband: Dual band shunt-feeding tower on 160/80

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Dual band shunt-feeding tower on 160/80
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 15:11:57 -0400
The interaction of a grounded steel tower, I have found, can be minimized somewhat by having the end of the 80 meter antenna more than 25' away from the structure and supported with non conducting material like braided nylon or Phylistran and having the angle of declivity at least 45 degrees or even less. There may also be some useful directivity in the direction of the slope caused by the tower acting as an a periodic reflector. Another way of of feed the 80 meter section is at the bottom to ground by making the wire 90 feet of a 3/8 wave vertical sloper and fed to a ground system consisting of some radials and a series capacitor to remove the inductive reactance. The feed will be close to 60 ohms for a coax feed at that point. Doing this would remove feed line interaction with both 160 and 80. Additionally it might be possible to bring the 80 mete bottom back to the 160 feed point and be able to have a common coax for both the 160 meter match (if it also is just a series capacitor to a shunt). I am somewhat reluctant to advise something I have never tired this way...but the 90' bottom fed wire sloped off a 90 foot tower with the 25 foot insulated extension works well in the past for me with it's own coax feed.

73,

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ .