Re: Topband: Are stacked verticals feasible?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Are stacked verticals feasible?
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2013 22:16:02 -0400
On 09/06/2013 09:26 AM, ZR wrote:
I would think that at 6-12' spacing from the tower it would minimize
interaction on 160 or 80?

I don't know, Carl. I'll leave it to the experts. What I do know is I have made several attempts to erect a vertical for 80 meters near my 160 meter tower, using the same radial system. At 10 foot spacing from the tower, the base resistance of an 80 meter quarter wave vertical was less than 5 ohms. That to me suggests significant interaction with the tower. At 5 foot spacing the base resistance was less than 2 ohms! I don't have the data handy but I seem to recall having to adjust the length considerably from a quarter wavelength to cancel a reactive component.

73,
Paul N1BUG
Topband Reflector