Topband: Are stacked verticals feasible?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Are stacked verticals feasible?
From: "Bruce" <k1fz@myfairpoint.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2013 10:42:21 -0700
Now the smoke has cleared-sort of

I have the Vertical Antenna Handbook, by Capt.. Paul H. Lee USN (RET) N6PL second edition. I also had the first edition way back then/when. I Built the Mark II on page 93 and it worked like gang-busters on 20 meters on the long haul. and well on 40 meters. I was not working the other bands at the time so I do not have any information there.

There was another ham close by with a 3 element beam, I could work stations on 20 meters long haul that he could not. Yes, there was always a possibility his antenna was not working correctly.

BUT, like Tom, many years ago I had this image that 5/8 wave was the answer to very long range. I also put up a 5/8 wave on 80 meters that was a dismal failure. As I shortened it, for long haul peak performance, it came at my QTH at 1/2 wave.

Even early broadcasters were going for 5/8 wave as the lower angles gave longer ground wave. But now most are using much shorter verticals and getting improved nighttime sky wave. I have been in Broadcast engineering most of my life, and many changes have been noted in equipment and antennas.

Many have tried 5/8 wavelengths on lower bands and experienced poor long haul results.

Optimum DX take off angles for most bands are well known now. It has been published, but unable to remember where.

If anyone wants to go for a 5/8 wave on 160 meters, feel free. Everyone has to be some-where.

73
Bruce-K1FZ

www.qsl.net/k1fz/beveragenotes.html

Topband Reflector