Re: Topband: and KDKA

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: and KDKA
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 10:56:08 -0400

Looking at the table of allocations over the years, WLW was the only
station in the continental US that did not share its frequency with
any other US station *at night*.  It was a "class 1A" station with
no other full time "secondary".  That has changed in the last ~30 years
- first with the addition of night time operation on the west coast
with a significant directional pattern (perhaps KALL in N. Salt Lake
City) and more recently a proliferation of class D stations.

The proliferation over the last 20 years of nighttime operation by
secondary stations with reduced protection requirements on "the clears"
is a real shame as it has made the AM band a mess of indistinguishable
signals at night - even locally in many metro areas.  Just 15 years ago
when we moved to Florida most of the dominant clears could be received
quite easily at night on a car radio or simple boom box.  Now, with the
additional stations, the noise from "digital radio" and the general
increase in "noise pollution," only a couple of the closer clears are
reliably audible.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV