Re: Topband: Light fiber question

To: "Bill Wichers" <billw@waveform.net>, "Shoppa, Tim" <tshoppa@wmata.com>, "Bruce" <k1fz@myfairpoint.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Light fiber question
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 13:06:50 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Wichers" <billw@waveform.net> To: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>; "Shoppa, Tim" <tshoppa@wmata.com>; "Bruce" <k1fz@myfairpoint.net>; <topband@contesting.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2013 12:10 PM

Um, no... Not really -- you do NOT need modulators and demodulators to use fiber for *analog* applications. If you want to run your signal over a commercial transport network you will (to digitize the signal and deal with framing for SONET, Ethernet etc.). Cable TV systems run their RF over fiber with very wide frequency ranges (50-700+MHz). I don't know dynamic range off hand since that's not a parameter that comes up with the digital systems I work with (we use extinction ratio instead). The downside is that the equipment to do that is not cheap. This is what I do all day at work (well, digital only, but optical) :-)

Sorry, but by definition that is a modulator and demodulator.

You have to convert the radio signal to light, and that involves modulating a light beam of some type. At the other end, you have to demodulate the light into the original baseband.

You may not recognize it as a modulator/demodulator system, but that's what it is. You cannot just hook the coax to the fiber optic cable at each end.

73 Tom
Topband Reflector