Re: Topband: Light fiber question

To: "'Bill Wichers'" <billw@waveform.net>, "'Tom W8JI'" <w8ji@w8ji.com>, "'Shoppa, Tim'" <tshoppa@wmata.com>, "'Bruce'" <k1fz@myfairpoint.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Light fiber question
From: "Charlie Cunningham" <charlie-cunningham@nc.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 15:14:16 -0400
BTW, Bill, amplitude modulation and "mixing" are the same process
mathematically. In a "mixer" we just select one of the "sidebands"
-depending on whether we are doing "up-conversion" or "down-conversion"
mixing. So, in an optical fiber, passing 2 MHz 160m RF, there would be two
sidebands at 2 MHz above and below the optical carrier frequency. The
photo-diode would see the optical carrier and the +/-
2 MHz sidebands as an amptltude modulate optical carrier and we would select
the lower sideband to recover the 2 MHz "baseband" signal.

73,
Charlie, K4OTV

73.
Charlie Cunningham