Re: Topband: Verifying integrity of 75 ohm coax.

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Verifying integrity of 75 ohm coax.
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 02:00:13 -0500
Gentleman, and I say that honestly... :)

I have a resolution to the issue and along with it my thanks for
those who offered really solid ideas to track down. & more to the
opportunity to learn, I have much apparently to learn about my 259B
which is more than just a pretty face.

However, the cause of the majority of my problems were the F
connectors being somewhat loose in the RX array. They were all
connected to the coax properly, it was the connections to the many
different chassis' involved; It's beyond me how so many of them were
not tight and I have more than my share of OCD and leaving so many
loose makes me wonder if I did close them tightly in the early winter
last year but not tightly enough and perhaps with cooling/heating
they loosened some more.

Yeah, that seems like a stretch but whatever it is, there has to be a
reason they were all loose when I always crank down on outdoor
connectors to keep water out. That looseness was the cause of most of
my issues. I wonder if a diode/rectifier effect might have taken
place and was creating a signal due to the proximity of Amtrak with
it's catenary suspended 15KV power supply. I'm not enough of an
engineer to figure that one out but regardless, tightening solidly
all the F connectors and cleaning the grounds to each antenna in the
array made all the difference.

Thanks again to everyone who offered helpful suggestions, it's all a
learning experience to pass on to the next guy. Or hopefully YL.

73,

Gary
KA1J

---