Re: Topband: DXCC Desk?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: DXCC Desk?
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 10:14:29 -0500

On 11/18/2013 9:29 AM, Herb Schoenbohm wrote:
> What is the "DXCC Desk" anyway?  It used to be just Bob White W1CW
> seated at a real oak desk with stacks of cards and papers and Bob's
> omnipresent huge Sherlock Holmes handy magnifying glass to look for
> any alterations.

The DXCC Desk is still the ARRL Awards Manager (e.g. NC1L) supported
by several clerical assistants.  The Awards program is located within
the ARRL MVP (Membership and Volunteer Programs) Department which is
managed by NN1N.

> Now new countries are created and approved for political purposes
> and real ones are refused for political purposes, like Kosovo and
> Chechnya.

Fortunately, country creation is clearly defined in the DXCC rules
and "new ones" are no longer created for political reasons (like
Baldwin's Reef and Scaffold (BS) Reef).  Unfortunately, the rules
have a blind spot regarding Kosovo but adding "Independent States in
the World - http://www.state.gov/s/inr/rls/4250.htm - to the criteria
would solve that problem.  As far as Chechnya, Turkish Republic of
Northern Cyprus, Abkhazia, Nagorno-Karabakh, Transnistria, South
Ossetia, etc. they are all "governments in opposition" - not real
functioning nations recognized by either the US, the UN or a significant number of other nation.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV