Re: Topband: ARRL 160 contest observation

To: Carl Clawson <clawsoncw@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: ARRL 160 contest observation
From: Ray Benny <rayn6vr@cableone.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 12:54:15 -0700
I find that It makes a difference being further South and East. I worked
only one EU in 30 years in So, Calif on 160m. I didn't have a great station
but we just don't have the EU opening in CA.

Now, being 400 miles East of So. CA. in Central Arizona, just North of
Prescott, I've made well over 250 EU contacts since 2009. Many are with the
same strong EU stations, but my DXCC count has gone from 50 or so entities
to about 170! The major factor, I believe, is that my path to EU 160m just
skirts the Aurora zone, while the Calif it doesn't. Fortunately, I am in a
quiet location and have both a good TX and RX antennas (Hi-Z 4 rx sq).
During most winter 160m contests, I can generally work 4 - 10 EUs depending
on condx.

But yet, stations further East or South of me, even by 200 miles, do
better. The further East the better, and being in New England or further NE
is the best, at least, most of the time.  The W6's do have a better Asia
that us, but we still do well.

Ray,
N6VR
Chino Valley, AZ