Re: Topband: Buffaloed by a bias tee

To: "Pete Smith N4ZR" <n4zr@contesting.com>, "topband reflector" <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Buffaloed by a bias tee
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 14:18:20 -0500
The Hammond is 400 mA and probably OK, I never used one.

I use something like these 100 uH from Mouser Electronics:

542-73F104AF-RC

or depending on current

542-5250-RC

----- Original Message ----- From: "Pete Smith N4ZR" <n4zr@contesting.com> To: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>; "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>; "topband reflector" <Topband@contesting.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2014 1:45 PM

Tom, I appreciate your concern. I have made these changes - I am now using a shunt choke (homebrew,, measuring 45 uH) and a smaller series capacitor.. Now all I have to do is to find a source of some appropriate chokes for the final tee, and my problems may be behind me. I was just looking at some Hammond chokes, no. 1532h - 100 uH, rated for maximum DC current of 500 ma., solenoid wound, self-resonant frequency of 12 MHz. Sound reasonable?

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
http://reversebeacon.net,
blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.