Re: Topband: Chassis Bonding

To: "jim@audiosystemsgroup.com" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Chassis Bonding
From: Bill Wichers <billw@waveform.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 15:40:17 +0000
That's not entirely correct... Triplen harmonics are created by non-linear
loads, but the voltage developed on the neutral as a result of them is a result
of voltage drop between the source of the "problem" and the return which will
be one or more utility transformers. The farther you are from the transformer
the worse the issue will be (higher voltage developed). Triplen harmonics
primarily result in additional heating in the neutral and transformer due to
higher than normal currents (since they don't cancel). Triplen harmonics are
also becoming less of an issue as many electronic loads now incorporate power
factor correction. This used to be a very big deal in datacenters due to older
computer power supplies (which are rectifier loads and very non-linear), but
most new equipment isn't a problem.

Note that "high leg delta", when used to deliver 120/240 single phase power
will *always* have the center tap grounded and  that includes in industrial,
3-phase customer sites. If the center tap isn't grounded then you would have to
have a corner-grounded system, but there is always, by code, a ground bond at
the site. The only impedance-grounded system I'm aware of is the old 4800 volt
primary system but in that case all of the step-down transformers on the poles
also provide transformer isolation between the primary and secondary (since
it's not possible to use autotransformers in that application).

Most of the newer (since the 70s) power distribution used by utilities is a wye
on the primary, and the neutral of that wye is grounded at each pole and the
substation. All customer (both single a three phase) services have their
ground/neutral bonded to that common ground/neutral used by the primary. And
note that from the utility's perspective, on the poles, the neutral and ground
are essentially the same thing (at least in terms of the way the system is
wired).

And our home and ham station grounds, when properly bonded to the service
entrance, WILL share current with the utility system. I see about 7 amps at
home that "comes from" the utility (but I have a ground ring, lots of rods,
probably 500+ feet of copper in the ground and a well casing). It's not a
problem, but it's there.

  -Bill