Re: Topband: Chassis Bonding

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Chassis Bonding
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 14:19:27 -0800
Thanks for the update from someone still working in that part of industry. Yes, PF correction was mandated in EU something like 10 years ago. It's good news if this ripples back to our continent, even if our electrical codes haven't addressed this issue. .

That said, as long as rectifier-capacitor input power supplies dominate the landscape, we'll have those harmonics to deal with. BTW -- for those following the discussion, the harmonics are generated because current flows in pulses at the positive and negative peaks of the AC waveform to recharge the input filter capacitor. A switching power supply simply takes the resulting DC, generates square waves at a higher frequency (typically in the 10-20 kHz range) that's easier to filter.

The harmonic problem is NOT limited to lighting ballasts, data centers, etc. Nearly 20 years ago, a major Chicago broadcaster, WFLD-TV, had a very serious encounter with the high neutral currents that these harmonics can produce (nearly double the current in one phase of a well balanced system) and hosted a meeting of our local SBE chapter to talk about it. Their neutral hardware got so hot that they nearly had to shut down and go off the air.

73, Jim K9YC