Re: Topband: Contest in progress - few signals

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Contest in progress - few signals
From: Andrew AC6WI <ac6wi@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 16:04:34 -0500
Hi all,

As the person who did the majority of the running (and I use that word loosely given the conditions) on 160m at W3LPL this weekend, I think some explanation is in order.

I did work a number of US stations during the contest, in fact every single one that called me so I didn't ignore them. It's quicker to work them instead of trying to argue about it and hope it doesn't result in a string of other zero pointers calling.

Now, in the case of Mike W0BTU, it's very possible it took a few calls for me to figure out which direction I needed to listen. Consider that I was using Franks new 8-circle receive array, which has a much sharper and cleaner pattern than the Beverages we used to use, and that I was most likely listening towards EU at the time. When listening towards EU, callers off the back side of this new array are attenuated a LOT! Combine that with a relatively high QRN level due to the storms running up through the North East, ie the direction I was listening, and the fact I wouldn't be expecting callers off the back side when I'm listening to EU, and it's not really surprising it took a few calls for me to figure out that I needed to listen in the opposite direction.

Thanks to everyone who persisted with lots of repeats over the weekend to make some very difficult Q's on 160m.

Vy 73,

Andrew AC6WI / GI0NWG