Re: Topband: Suggestions for a tower?

To: Jon Zaimes AA1K <jz73@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Suggestions for a tower?
From: Ashton Lee <Ashton.R.Lee@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 21:51:47 -0600
Or an easy and fairly good approach is to set up a sloper off the tower. The
sloper acts as an inverted vertical ( inverted verticals work better than
ground fed ones) and uses the grounded tower as its ground. Basically you run
your feed line to the top of the tower, run the hot core to a wire slanted down
and away from the tower and connect the ground to the tower. I ended up with
the best match using a 130 foot wire and feeding through a 4:1 unun. Slopers
are a bit tricky as each installation requires some trial and error. But they
work darn well.

Also, while you will get some counter argument, setting up an inverted V off
the tower top will work very well too. That may have a higher angle of
radiation but will be very easy to tune to a 50 ohm match.