Re: Topband: Rig Question

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Rig Question
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 14:17:42 -0700
On 6/16/2014 1:39 PM, Mike Waters wrote:
What I heard was bad, was the receive audio on SSB, what's coming out of
the speaker connected to it. Are we on the same page?

99% of my hamming is done with headphones, and I find the audio system quite decent on cans. The K3 speaker is a small one, and the designer, Wayne Burdick, is a nut for minimizing current drain, part of which is the audio output stage. The result is not very ballsy sound in the speaker, but a lot less current drain on RX.

If sound through a speaker is important to you, buy one and plug it into the rear panel jack. In general, larger speakers tend to be more efficient (that is, more sound for the same driving voltage).

73, Jim K9YC