Re: Topband: Modeling the proverbial "vertical on a beach"

To: Topband@Contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Modeling the proverbial "vertical on a beach"
From: "Hugh Valentine" <hsvdds@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 16:52:31 GMT
All,I am not very educated in these matters so I have nothing specific to add
other than this: 1-We have some really bright "friends" who share the love of
this exciting Hobby.  And a true friend will freely share his perceptions,
whether popular or not.2-Our individual perceptions differ almost
infinitely.3-Amost all our derived Laws of Physics are considered absolute, but
even a miniscule few are subject to change as we gain accepted knowledge as
Homo Sapiens.4-Anecdotal observations may occasionally stimulate those who
possess a wealth of scientific knowledge to look for possibilities.  That brain
can be a superior tool to reject subjective fantasy and emotion from scientific
possibility.  200 years ago, scientific minds didn't possess infinite
knowledge. New Axioms emerged.The same is true today.5-My 9th grade math
teacher said "Two heads are better than one, even if one is a Goat Head."
Sounds stupid, but he was talking about solving math problems. True.6-It has
been sa
 id..."The Ionosphere is a great equalizer of signals".  I translate that to
mean, as much as we know, there are some more things to learn in order to
explain what we experience with signals.7-I have enjoyed several locations and
setups, from meager Novice days with a poorly matched 300 ohm piece of TV Twin
lead lying on a shingle roof, to the highest hilltop in Gwinnett County, Ga to
9 Towers on 23 Flat Acres, to a restricted community where I have very poor
wire antennas, but in/over Salt water and very little noise. I have my stories.
 In general they parallel what we unschooled accept from those who are our
mentors.  8-I am owing to my friends of my almost 60 year career who have
shared both anecdotal and scientific help to supplement my trial-and-error Ham
Radio escapades.  What I lack in foundation I possess great resolve.9-I do not
claim to be the first, I don't know who first designed one, but I may have
stumbled upon the first Half Sloper in 1973 just because I wante
 d to get up an antenna for 80M and used 65' of #26 magnet wire direct fed
against a 90' tower with some Log-yagis on top.  I did not know if or why this
would or would not work.  I just tried anything that seemed reasonable.  This
was a lucky point which matched...I did not know where to start.  The same for
a side mount rotor...I HAD TO.  I wanted another Yagi, but no room for another
tower.  A welder at a Filling Station built my design in 1973.  I was a
Dentist, not a mechanical engineer.10-We need each other.  Hams dedicated to
scientific knowledge, those willing to share personal experiences-no matter how
flawed the principle seems, experimenters, those who are brave enough to
unselfishly sharing their vast base of information, those who risk telling us
our perception is skewed against Physics, those who use all these experiences
to further our enjoyment of this great hobby by designing circuits we use
daily....whether for profit or just plain sharing.  We can all add s
 omething to be accepted or rejected. Relative to what I should know as I
continue to explore DX,  I do know and accept that I am a Goat Head. But thanks
to all who contribute, whatever their intention or level of skill and
knowledge.  Keep posting. 73, ValN4RJ Whatever it is, there IS something magic
to Salt Water and Hill Top locations.  Both have different but magnificent
effects on propagation.  The VP2KC location had both,  I have been spoiled
beyond repair.  I am a Ham-O-Holic and am proud of it.