Re: Topband: Modeling the proverbial "vertical on a beach"

To: ea5rs@ono.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Modeling the proverbial "vertical on a beach"
From: "" <paul_group@greenrover.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2014 12:28:13 +0200

I don't believe it waits 45 seconds before reporting, Skimmer is posting spots within a few seconds of starting. I think the reference was to an assessment of band noise up to and including the previous 45 seconds used in computation.

With QS1R here the measured and reported snr compares well with signals generated using autotims which is a setup used commercially for transmission imparement.

Of course band noise varies and its not and never was meant as an absolute measurement but I can say with my setup, increasing noise by 3db degrades the snr report when enough samples are taken. Also I can confirm that again statistics show reduction of both signal and noise does not change snr - I validated this over some 10000 spot sample over many months and I'm confident enough in my setup that for amateur purposes its good.

Try degrading snr by introducing noise to the test signal and compare say 100 samples and see if it shows anything interesting.

Alex is very competent and always the issues I have are due to my lack of understanding :-)

Regards Paul.