Re: Topband: Beverage Question

To: TopBand List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage Question
From: jeremy maris <jeremy@maris.plus.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 10:09:26 +0100
I've just finished putting up a ~300m NE/SW reversible beverage at G4AQG using
two pairs of paralleled WD1/TT wire for the feeder, spaced 50mm apart.

I used nine 2.7m 3x3 posts with electric fence insulators on top.  The posts
are held in the ground with  a metal fence post spike.
The wire is secured to insulators at the far end and tensioned with two fencing
wire tensioners at the feed end, using egg insulators just before the
tensioners.

One end post is guyed with fencing wire to a 4ft 5/8"  earth stake via a wire
tensioner and the other guyed to a convenient tree.
There are two 4ft earth rods at each end.

I've put about 25lb tension in each line (measured with a travel scale) and
there's hardly any sag in the line and apparently no need for spacers to keep
the lines apart.
Hopefully wind and any ice loading will be within the 200lb breaking strain of
the paralleled wire!

The impedance of the line is about 470 ohms and common mode is around 390 ohms.
Allowing for earth losses in the termination, I reckoned that  a 1:1 reflection
transformer was about right.
For 75 ohm coax, I used transformers with 6+6:5 , 7:3 and 3+3 :6 turns ratio
wound on  fair-rite binocular cores and direction  switched by relay.

I checked line impedance and matching impedance  with an Antscope analyser, all
seems OK. The beverage works well up to 30m. There's good f/b from a nearby AM
station on 1485kHz ( at least 15dB)  but not had time to measure 160m
performance yet.

Jeremy G3XDK/G4AQG