Re: Topband: [Bulk] Re: 160 GP Choke

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: [Bulk] Re: 160 GP Choke
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 09:25:18 -0700
On Tue,9/30/2014 6:28 AM, Grant Saviers wrote:
Would the type 75 material from Fair-Rite, be a better choice for 160 & 80 with 5 turns thru the 0.75" id clamp on?

It depends entirely on cost of the component. The peak of the impedance of a single core is in the right frequency range, but a single core provides only 125 ohms of choking Z. You would need ten to get 1250 ohms, 40 for 5,000 ohms, my rule of thumb for most transmitting applications. That sounds expensive. :) You could wind turns, but you would still need a lot, and that would move the resonance down to the low end of AM broadcast, where we don't usually need it.

73, Jim K9YC