Re: Topband: TX relays

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: TX relays
From: "GeorgeWallner" <aa7jv@atlanticbb.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 22:23:17 -0400
On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 11:13:14 -0700
 Paul Baldock <pbaldock@frontier.com> wrote:
One solution to the receiving problem when using high current relays may be to have dc current (eg 100mA) pass through the contact in RX.

1. In all my antenna systems I always use some wetting current. I feed from 24 V about 2 mA of DC wetting current via a 1 mH choke and a 4k7 resistor at each end. I used to have receive problems with all kinds of relays, including vacuum relays, before I added the wetting current. Since then, all relays have been working perfectly in RX (via the normally closed contacts).

2. For TX above 500 W I use vacuum relays. Where the SWR is low I use RJ1A (HC-1) or RF1D ((K45C) or similar types and where the SWR could be high I use RJ4 (KC-2, KC8 or H-8) types. Overkill? Maybe. But...

73,

George
AA7JV