Re: Topband: TX relays

To: "GeorgeWallner" <aa7jv@atlanticbb.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: TX relays
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.qozzy.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2014 12:26:47 -0400
Ive found over the years, going back to using a RCS-4 in the 80's to switch Beverages, that a tiny drop of DeOxit D-100 eliminates the receiving problem. It also works on amp bypass path contacts.

Since the common TX/RX path in an antenna/stack switch is always getting wiped I havent noticed any problem there and wouldnt want to use DeOxit at more than 100W or so anyway.

Just a tiny as possible drop applied with a pointy implement does the job. I use a face magnifier to be sure it goes where it should.

The vacuum relay in my 1986 LK-500ZC gets a low current in the RX path every 5 years or so; only the first time did it really need it, the rest is PM.

Carl
KM1H

On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 11:13:14 -0700