Topband: TX relay assemblies

To: <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: TX relay assemblies
From: "Larry Gauthier \(K8UT\)" <K8UT@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2014 07:19:01 -0500
A few weeks ago there was a helpful, spirited discussion of antenna relays here on the reflector. Can we extend that conversation to pre-built relay assemblies?

As background: I have recently become involved in writing software for these new SBCs (single board computers) like the Arduino and Raspberry Pi. My latest project is a band decoder - a UDP-based CAT decoder that interprets rig-to-logging-program frequency traffic and selects relays to drive my remote antenna switches. The band decoder collects UDP CAT data via wi-fi, which means that it could be anywhere within wi-fi range - including outdoors at the location of the remote antenna switches. Hmmm... what if the Band Decoder and Remote Antenna Switches were consolidated and the Raspberry Pi were to directly drive the antenna selection? Then the question becomes whether these relay assemblies are capable of handling 1 KW RF.

These relays assemblies are: inexpensive, SPDT, opto-isolated from the CPU, include reverse diode protection on the coils, rated for 220VAC at 10 amps, and the PCBs have been notched to physically isolate the relay common from the two outputs (hard to see that from the photos).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0057OC5WK

Will these work? How would I test them?

-larry (K8UT)