Re: Topband: receive antenna opinions

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: receive antenna opinions
From: donovanf@starpower.net
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 11:33:55 -0500 (EST)
Hi Don,

W8JI's receiving antenna page provides excellent insight into the
relative performance of various receiving antenna options, especially
the RDF tables.

http://www.w8ji.com/receiving.htm

The Shared Apex Loop Arrays (SAL-20, SAL-30) are not listed,
their RDFs are in the order of 8-9 dB. Many topbanders have
had good success with the SAL-30 in a very small space .

There's a similar RDF chart on the Hi-Z web site that includes some
of the Hi-Z antennas.

http://www.hizantennas.com/receiving_antennacomparison_char.htm

W8JI's webpage has an excellent description of arrays of small verticals :

http://www.w8ji.com/small_vertical_arrays.htm

4-square arrays provide several dB improved RDF compared to loop
arrays, for example the 4 element Hi-Z array RDF is in the order of
11-12 dB. To do much better you would need to go to a much larger
monoband eight element vertical array such as the Hi-Z 8 (200 foot
diameter on top band).

http://www.hizantennas.com/8_element_arrays.htm

73
Frank