Re: Topband: 73 mix cores

To: Tom W8JI <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 73 mix cores
From: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 08:56:48 -0600
Fair-rite also states that multi-aperture ferrite cores (like this one)
have greater bandwidth  vs. a single-hole core made of the same material. I
cannot explain that.

I can verify that the losses in any single-core transformer that I've ever
made from that core, regardless of the Z ratio, was less than 1 dB. (0.9 dB
was an extreme case.) And I've measured losses as low as 0.2 dB. ON4UN in
his latest book wound transformers on that core with even less loss, IIRC.

I used a stack of three once when I experimented with transmitting on a
Beverage. Amazingly, the core never approached the Curie temperature even
feeding it with 800 watts of CW and heavily processed SSB. Photos of that
core test are at
www.w0btu.com/files/misc/Binocular%20core%20power%20vs%20temp%20test/ .
I cannot find the measured loss on that core at the moment, but it was
certainly low enough (~0.4 dB, IIRC) that it never exceed 225 degrees F
even with 850w key-down, with no air movement and a layer of heat shrink
which reduced heat radiation. And I'm using that same transformer on the
input of my swamped-grid amplifier. It barely gets warm even with 100w CW.

My $0.02.

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com