Re: Topband: Restistance of wire

To: topBand List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Restistance of wire
From: Tim Shoppa <tshoppa@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2014 14:52:42 -0500
That would be the right ballpark. 3 paralleled strands of 29 AWG copper
running for 400m would be 36 ohms. 3 paralleled strands of 30 AWG copper
running for 400M would be 45 ohms. (Usually when I do these calculations
for traction power networks we are paralleling multiple 600 or 1000kcmil
cables!!!)

I would not worry too much about 40 ohms resistance in a 600 ohm impedance
antenna that already has an intentional terminating resistance at the end.
Although I've never modeled what happens when the resistance is somewhat
distributed instead of lumped at the end, probably some loss in directivity.

Tim N3QE