Topband: ARRL160 Test conditions

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: ARRL160 Test conditions
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2014 14:06:06 -0500
I'm running QRP in the contest and found
for some reason I can't hear much DX as
other years. Lots of stateside & VE
contacts but just not much else from my
QTH. I've only been able to make three 5
point Qs and sure QRP is big in that but I
can't hear them this year using my same
equipment as always, K3 & HI-Z Triangular
& right on the ocean.

I find it interesting how fast some
stations fire off their CQ tests, often so
fast I find replying even with my short
call, they are starting a new CQ when I'm
done replying. Guess they are listening
for a strong signal and if its not heard
instantly, they kick the machine to keep
the flywheel going. Must work for them but
they have to be losing on DX stations.

I've made a fair amount of Q's so I'm
getting my signal out but it's a personal
challenge to not be able to work everyone
I hear. Maybe tonight will be some
different. I'm definitely having fun.

Good luck to all,

Gary