Re: Topband: ARRL 160m contest and DX Window?

To: topBand List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: ARRL 160m contest and DX Window?
From: Tim Shoppa <tshoppa@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2014 13:28:17 -0500
I end up working most of my "5-pointers" (DX by ARRL standards at least)
outside the supposed DX window.

In e.g. CQ WW I observe some good self-segregation between loud USA running
stations and the actual DX running stations. The big multi-multis seem to
put their 160M run frequencies either high or low in the band out of the
way of the EU CQ'ing stations. Often they all end up mostly above or mostly
below the EU CQ'ing stations. This sort of self-sorting works probably
works out well for everybody. And then when it comes time to work JA's they
arrange themselves similarly within the JA window.

In ARRL 160 or CQ 160, there's just too many running US/VE stations who are
alligators, for them to have awareness of where the DX is and sort
themselves.

Tim N3QE