Re: Topband: ARRL 160m contest and DX Window?

To: "Mike Waters" <mikewate@gmail.com>, "topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: ARRL 160m contest and DX Window?
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2014 14:43:04 -0500
After playing in the ARRL DX contest in the early morning hours, it looks
to me that what is *really* needed is a small DX window somewhere in the 15
kHz JA segment 1810-1825. Heck, it could even be less than 5 kHz wide.

From my QTH in the central USA, I could copy JAs who were working NA
stations; and some JAs spotted NA stations in the cluster. But 1810-1825
was wall-to-wall NA stations calling CQ.

Typical contest, Mike. :)

What are the chances of such a DX window making it into the rules? Maybe in
a future Stew?

People on the coast with nothing much in front of them, where they do not have to listen through layers of QRM, determine the bandplans or windows. This makes the idea of a window or the notion of a bandplan different than the idea someone in North Dakota might form.