Re: Topband: That 1.9 MHz radar signal...

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: That 1.9 MHz radar signal...
From: Rick Stealey <rstealey@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 00:45:21 +0000
In order to identify the location of the transmitter by radio methods (as
opposed to Doug's contacts identifying the culprit) it is eventually going to
require some more accurate antenna patterns than you get from Beverages and
other rather broad pattern antennas.
If you will remember three years ago we had a spur on 1818 and began the same
way, with lots of signal reports of strength (of limited value due to all the
variables), some "Beverage reports" such as "It's stronger on my NE Bev than my
east Bev."  But it was Don, WD8DSB in indiana, with three flag type antennas
who took careful measurements and eventually identified the general area as
being south Jersey.
What enabled us to drive right up to the door (figuratively) of the spur
generator back then was only THREE readings, taken by me, with a portable loop
antenna.  Don plotted the vectors, and since I was essentially driving in a
circle around the source he was able to triangulate the source right to a city
block.  It may not be that easy this time because the area hasn't been narrowed
down small enough yet.   The advantage of a loop is not that it points toward
the signal, but that it points AWAY from the signal, at 90 degrees, and is very
sharp.  This is nothing new whatsoever.  In fact it is amazingly simple.  I
built the loop that found that spur in only a total of four hours.  All it
takes is some pvc pipe, and joints, and glue them together and wrap 4 turns of
wire and a coupling loop for. 50 ohm coax.  The hardest part, naturally, is to
find an interested person who will take such an antenna for a one day ride, say
around New Brunswick and get some bearings.  Initially,
 since we are not sure of the area, it may require a trip of several hundred km
(as they say in Canada).  I would be very tempted to take a trip, but have been
lax in renewing my passport and they won't let me cross the border anymore
without one.  Damn !

Rick  K2XT