Re: Topband: Followup on the 1915kHz radar signal

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Followup on the 1915kHz radar signal
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 14:38:51 -0500
Nice find, Doug, it sure is a strong
signal. With my 3 el HI-Z I couldn't guess
the direction in any real accuracy but I
had a feeling from the stronger NE
signals, it was NE & following the
coastline from my QTH on the ocean in SE
CT. Indeed NS is right in that line from
here at 50 degrees north.

Nice to know that the HI-Z is not only
well directional but is seemingly oriented
well.

As far as the signal itself, the military
obviously trumps the civilian needs and I
guess we can be glad it doesn't drift
around like the woodpecker did.

73,

Gary, KA1J

> After some Googling and educated guessing, I have determined (and
> received confirmation of) the following:
>
> - It is a high-frequency surface-wave radar (HFSWR) system, developed
> by Raytheon Canada for the Canadian military. It seems to be a new
> version of the SWR503 MK2 HFSWR system. It is intended to detect ships
> up to 200 miles from a country's coast (EEZ) to protect against
> terrorists, smugglers, and unauthorized fishing vessels as well as
> locate vessels in distress. The present system has been detected at
> 1915, 3250, 4400, and 5300 kHz.
>
> - It is located at Hartlen Point, NS, near Halifax
>       (point Google Earth to   44 35 29.47 N   63 26 49.68 W  )
>
> and if you zoom in you can see the 500M long cleared area for the
> towers and the guy anchors.
>
> - W1FV was pretty close with his estimate of a heading of 75 degrees
> (it is actually 67 degrees from John's QTH).
>
> - ARRL, RAC, and Industry Canada (Canada's FCC) have been made aware
> of the interference that this signal is causing to amateurs.
>
> - The frequency band 1850-2000 is a shared allocation in Canada, among
> amateur, radionavigation, and radiolocation services.
>
> - A previous version of this system was installed in several other regions.
>
> 1915 kHz is not the primary operating frequency for the system. The
> higher frequencies generally work better for the intended purpose.
>
> So the mystery is solved...at least as far as the source is concerned.
>
> 73,
>
> Doug K1DG

---
is active.